The Euphemist

Reflections on Jewish Studies and many other subjects big and little, by a perpetual student who sometimes searches a little too long for just the right word ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Christian, truth seeker, husband, son, brother & uncle, Lutheran pastor, musician (cello, etc.), Jewish Studies grad student, intellectual historian, aquarium enthusiast & pet owner, philologist, astronomer, Norwegian-American, Ford pickup driver, buffoon.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The return of Milli Vanilli

I couldn't believe my ears. I was driving home from a church council meeting, listening to a local radio station's "Totally 80s Hour" - I'm a real junkie for the music of my favorite decade - & I must not be the only one, with "Nina Blackwood's Absolutely 80s", "Amazing 80s with MG Kelly", the "Jack" radio format, etc.. Suddenly a song began to play with a strangely familiar synth-pop sound. Yes, it was true - for the first time in 15 years, I was hearing the song "Girl You Know It's True" the signature hit of the disgraced Milli Vanilli! I never was a fan, even before the lip-synch scandal. Yet, the song somehow sounded better than I remembered it. I have to admit their sound was kind of catchy, regardless of who was doing the actual singing.

There's a kind of justice in it. The fact is, Milli Vanilli was a part of the sound of the late 1980s, and we can't make it not so by ignoring it - just as disco and the Osmonds were a big part of the 1970s, "Classic Rock" stations notwithstanding.

The sad part is that Rob Pilatus didn't live to see the day that their signature hit could once again be nonchalantly played as part of 80s nostalgia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home