The Euphemist

Reflections on Jewish Studies and many other subjects big and little, by a perpetual student who sometimes searches a little too long for just the right word ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Christian, truth seeker, husband, son, brother & uncle, Lutheran pastor, musician (cello, etc.), Jewish Studies grad student, intellectual historian, aquarium enthusiast & pet owner, philologist, astronomer, Norwegian-American, Ford pickup driver, buffoon.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

You coax the blues right out of the horn, Meme!

I've just figured out that the word meme is used as a name for these blogging games where you answer some kind of question about yourself that someone else has already answered. The larger definition of meme, according to the Wikipedia article, is "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation." Makes sense. I especially enjoy this paragraph from the Wikipedia article:

"The concept of memes itself comprises a meme. Even the idea that the concept of memes is itself a meme has become a widely spread meme. However, the idea that the idea that the concept of memes is itself a meme is not yet particularly common as a meme. (Not to mention that, at this stage, the idea makes most people's heads hurt.)"

Another meme I might respond to soon is one about Time magazine's list of 100 best English language novels since 1923. Meanwhile, I was "tagged" by David Holford to do this meme, so here goes:

MEME: GETTING TO KNOW ME

Five things I plan to do before I die:

1. Earn an accredited doctor's degree
2. Do more with music, maybe be in a dinner music string ensemble again.
3. Get back down to a healthy weight (I've already lost 20+ lbs!).
4. Write a book.
5. Pay off all my debts.

Five things I can do:

1. Play cello, bass, banjo, harmonica, vox, etc.
2. Read Hebrew (gaining), ancient Greek (moderately rusty), Latin (very rusty).
3. Speak in public.
4. Design simple but, I think, good web pages.
5. I once successfully changed the spark plugs on my car.

Five things I cannot do:

1. Imitate an Irish accent.
2. Keep my office clean for longer than a week at a time.
3. Speak really fast.
4. Lick my elbows (not that anybody else can ...)
5. Make someone do something they don't want to (I don't understand people who seem to enjoy trying ... it's a battle I haven't the heart to fight).

Five things that attract me to the opposite sex:

1. Authenticity.
2. Kindness.
3. Desire to live a good life.
4. Ability to discern the truth.
5. Has a relationship with God.

(All characteristics which my wife possesses.)(This is exactly what Dave's friend, the other Dave, put down, & I concur.)

Five things I say most often:

1. I see!
2. As a matter of fact ...
3. Actually,
4. We must do this very scientifically!
5. Your attention please! (Several times each time I teach confirmation class)

Five Celebrity Crushes:

Can't think of any, and I wouldn't put them down anyway. I don't know how Dave gets away with this kind of thing. In our marriage it would never fly.

Five People to whom I am passing on this meme:

Right now I think the only person I have to pass it on to is my sister at Ripples of Faith, but maybe eventually I'll share the fun with others as well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Splog Fraud Is A Big Problem For Google
Jim Hedger is a senior editor for ISEDB.com. Also he is a writer, speaker and search engine marketing expert working for StepForth Search Engine Placement in Victoria BC.
Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my e-commerce related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

If I do find something of interest, how could it not be special? Too bad I'll probably never go to the site and find out ...

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I get away with it?

Mrs H realises it is hereditary. My parents always watch Wheel of Fortune and my dad has long had thing for Vanna White.

The one that gets all the comments in our house is Kylie Minogue. Anytime Kylie comes on the telly or the radio, Mrs H always comments either about how much I like her or how much she's missing out on.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home