The Euphemist

Reflections on Jewish Studies and many other subjects big and little, by a perpetual student who sometimes searches a little too long for just the right word ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Christian, truth seeker, husband, son, brother & uncle, Lutheran pastor, musician (cello, etc.), Jewish Studies grad student, intellectual historian, aquarium enthusiast & pet owner, philologist, astronomer, Norwegian-American, Ford pickup driver, buffoon.

Friday, March 17, 2006

The Great Cello Reunion, Part III

Yesterday was a fun blogging day, as a former cello comrade from college happened to find her way here. This e-reunion with an old friend is a big improvement over the cello-related spam I was getting for awhile, though cello-related spam is better than some spam I've received.

Anyway, I'm calling it The Great Cello Reunion, Part III, and I thought I'd share a picture from Part II, which happened in about February 2002. Another former cello comrade named Vance Zuehlsdorff called on the phone out of the blue one day (how he found my number I still don't know) to tell me that he was guest-conducting the Concordia College Orchestra in a piece of his own composition, so I went to the concert and enjoyed his piece very much - a Korngold-like tone poem about an ascent up Denali (AKA Mt. McKinley), which was visible from his home in Eagle River, Alaska. The last I knew, Vance had moved to California where he was hoping to find a place in the movie music industry, but I haven't heard anything more since. Anyway, Vance is in the middle in this picture. The dark-bearded guy is Jeff H, a brilliant cellist who was principal cellist for his entire Concordia Orchestra career (1982-1986), and whose shoes I never did quite fill when I advanced to principal in 1986-87. The guy on the right is me. Jeff & I had both gained weight since college (I'm happy to report that I'm over 20 pounds lighter now than in the picture, and still working on it), but Vance looked exactly the same as I remembered him from college days!.
Jeff Holston, Vance Zuehlsdorff, Michael the Euphemist

I don't know why I was leaning over like that. My wife says that it makes me look like a Russian monk known as "St. Seraphim of Sarov":

St. Seraphim of Sarov

Click for picture credit

Great Cello Reunion Part One was when I made contact with Dr. Joan Garvin a few years back, my first cello teacher at Concordia and a great influence on me. It's inspiring to see so many of my old comrades still involved in musical pursuits. Kinda makes me think I should practice a little more myself ...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if St Seraphim played cello in his spare time.

(Did St Seraphim have spare time...?)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

It's my understanding that, among other things, he read the entire New Testament every week, which may not have left much time for cello playing. On the other hand, they always say, "if you want to get something done, ask someone who's busy." So, maybe he worked in some time to play the cello, or the balalaika, or something.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know why you are leaning over like that? Maybe because it was the easiest way to put your arm around those two other guys??

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just so turns out that Mr. Zuehlsdorff (AKA Mr. Z) is my music teacher. :)

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, "Anonymous," glad to hear from you! How's Mr. Z? Where are you from? Sorry the photos are now missing from the post. They were hosted on a web host I no longer use. Maybe sometime I'll dig them up and repost them on my current blog at http://petersoncello.wordpress.com. BTW, yes, this is Michael, though I'm also just signed in as "Anonymous."

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr.Z is doing well. :) I'm from Anchorage, AK! That's alright if the photos are missing! I'll be sure to check out your other website. ;)

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home