The Euphemist

Reflections on Jewish Studies and many other subjects big and little, by a perpetual student who sometimes searches a little too long for just the right word ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Christian, truth seeker, husband, son, brother & uncle, Lutheran pastor, musician (cello, etc.), Jewish Studies grad student, intellectual historian, aquarium enthusiast & pet owner, philologist, astronomer, Norwegian-American, Ford pickup driver, buffoon.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Genesis 3 LXX

Two highlights of this chapter in the Septuagint:

Verse 16 (which is Gen. 3:15 in our English versions), the "protogospel". Instead of "bruise", the word tEreO, "watch for, guard" is used; "he shall watch for your head, and you shall watch for his heel."

Verse 21 (20 English), very interesting to note here that Adam named his wife ZOE, "Life". Adam and Zoe. But in 4:1 she is familiarly called Eua, Eve.

In other news, I forgot to mention in my recent travelogue that I had acquired a new Bible on the trip. While stopping by the CTS Bookstore, I found a copy of the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh, Pocket Edition. A blocky little volume, 6" high, 4" wide, 2" thick, it requires a large pocket. But I like it. The Hebrew type is remarkably clear considering how small it is, but a magnifying glass is helpful. Yes, I'm finding new homes for 5 or 6 of my other Bibles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home